How iPhone x differs from XS
iPhone X vs iPhone XS Max. To change or not to change. we compare the old and new flagship
|Repair cost||from rub.|
|Repair time||from 30 min|
|Parts availability||are available|
Your application has been sent!
After the presentation by Apple of the new iPhone XS Max, many owners of the “dozen” experienced a keen desire to change it to the advertised new model. And have you wondered if it is worth changing the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max? Then read our article! It will help you learn a lot about the next “Apple” flagship, its differences from the legendary anniversary smartphone, and at the same time decide whether it makes sense to spend money on it or is it just another advertising move of the brand’s marketers.
One of the main differences between the iPhone X and the iPhone XS Max is the processor. A revolutionary new 8-core A12 Bionic chip with 4 GB of RAM was installed in the flagship of 2018. It became a real breakthrough, the first processor in the history of the company, created using 7-nanometer technology. The A11 Bionic, installed in the top ten, was produced in 10-nanometer increments. Compared to its predecessor, the novelty works 15% faster.
The A12 processor is the first 7nm processor built into a phone. Prior to this, 7nm process technology had never been used in the production of smartphones.
Compared to the top ten, the XS Max has the largest display ever on an iPhone. The Super Retina OLED screen measures 6.5-inches, while the iPhone X has a much more modest 5.8. The resolution (2688 × 1242 pixels), brightness, contrast and dynamic range of the display also increased (it became wider by 60%, now the black color looks even more natural).
Compared to the iPhone X, the autonomy of the iPhone XS Max has not only increased. it has become a new record in the line of Apple smartphones. The battery life of the new item is 1.5 hours longer than its predecessor! The battery is designed for 13 hours of Internet surfing, 15 hours of video viewing, 65 hours of listening to audio tracks or 25 hours of talk time. In addition to increasing the power of the battery itself, the autonomy of the smartphone was also positively influenced by the innovative A12 Bionic chip, which is more energy efficient than the A11.
IPhone X vs iPhone XS Max Comparison Chart
|Dimensions: 157.5 x 77.4||Dimensions: 143.6 x 70.9|
|Weight: 208g||Weight: 174g|
|Thickness: 7.7mm||Thickness: 7.7mm|
|Display diagonal: 6.5 ″||Display diagonal: 5.8 ″|
|Screen resolution: 2688 x 1242 pixels,
|Screen resolution: 2436 x 1125 pixels,
|8-core A12 Bionic processor (up to 15% faster)||6-core A11 Bionic processor|
|12MP dual camera with wide-angle and telephoto, Smart HDR, SIP, Depth option||12MP dual camera with wide-angle and telephoto, auto HDR when taking photos|
|Front camera: TrueDepth, cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p), high dynamic range when recording video at 30 fps||Front camera: TrueDepth|
|Lasts up to 1.5 hours longer than iPhone X (up to 25 hours talk time)||Lasts up to 2 hours longer than iPhone 7 (up to 21 hours talk time)|
|RAM: 4 GB||RAM: 3 GB|
|Built-in memory for 64, 256, 512 GB||Built-in memory 64, 256 GB|
|2 SIM cards||1 SIM card|
|Protection degree: IP68 (immersion in water to a depth of 2 m for 30 minutes)||Protection degree: IP67 (immersion in water to a depth of 1 m for 30 minutes)|
|Available in 3 colors: silver, space gray, gold||Available in 2 colors: silver, space gray|
Summing up, we can say that the new product surpasses the “ten” in several important parameters: it has a larger display size and diagonal, a camera with updated photo and video processing, an increased amount of RAM, a powerful innovative processor, more reliable protection against moisture and longer battery life. Well, whether to change Phone X and iPhone XS Max, it’s up to you!
Externally, the new 2018 is almost identical to the iPhone X. The same bezel-less screen, rounded corners and the same design. two glass panels connected by a steel frame. The only difference is that it has become significantly larger. Manufacturers increased the length of the iPhone XS Max by 13.9 mm, width by 7.5 mm, and weight by 34 g. The flagship turned out to be oversized and heavy: 157.5 x 77.4 mm with a weight of 208 grams. The color gamut of cases has also expanded, the smartphone can be chosen in one of three options (gold has been added to silver and gray).
The company’s engineers were concerned about the safety of the flagship as much as possible. The new model has received an IP68 degree of protection, which allows the phone to be safely immersed to a depth of two meters for up to half an hour. The iPhone X has a lower IP67. But swimming with an “expensive” smartphone in the pool is still not worth it. On the official Apple website, the manufacturer warns that if water gets inside the case, the warranty will automatically void.
iPhone XS and iPhone 8 Plus
Now let’s compare the new iPhone XS to last year’s iPhone 8 Plus, which is still on sale at a much more affordable price. The obvious advantage of the XS is its almost bezel-less design, which immediately catches your eye. But how else are the XS and 8 Plus different? Let’s evaluate:
- Display diagonal: iPhone XS. 5.8 ” with a cutout, iPhone 8 Plus. 5.5 ” without a cutout;
- Display type: iPhone XS. OLED, iPhone 8 Plus. IPS LCD;
- Resolution, pixel density: XS. 26881242 (458 PPI), 8 Plus –19201080 (401 PPI);
iPhone XS Max next to 8 Plus and XS
- User identification: XS. Face ID, 8 Plus. Touch ID;
- Processor: iPhone XS. A12 (6 cores CPU 2.5 GHz, 4 cores GPU). iPhone 8 Plus. A11 (6-core 2.4GHz CPU, 3-core GPU). detailed comparison at the end of the article;
- RAM: iPhone XS. 4 GB, 8 Plus. 3 GB;
- Permanent memory: iPhone XS. 64, 256, 512 GB. 8 Plus. 64 GB or 256 GB;
- Rear camera, main module: iPhone XS. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.4 μm), iPhone 8 Plus. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.2 μm);
- Optical stabilization: XS. for both rear camera modules, 8 Plus. only for the main rear camera module;
Ten minutes of key facts from Apple’s September presentation of the XS, XR and Watch Series 4 (link to comparison with all previous Apple Watches)
- Front camera: portrait mode, portrait lighting effects, stabilization, Animoji and Memoji. iPhone XS only;
- Front camera: iPhone XS. Full HD video recording at 60 frames / s. iPhone 8 Plus. Full HD video recording at 30 fps;
- Depth function (post-processing aperture setting): iPhone XS only. See the presentation video at the end of the article starting at 1:13:00;
- Sound recording: iPhone XS. stereo, iPhone 8 Plus. mono;
- LTE, maximum download speed: iPhone XS. 1 Gb / s, iPhone 8 Plus. 600 Mb / s;
- SIM-cards (for Russia, eSIM is not relevant yet): iPhone XS. nano-SIM eSIM, 8 Plus. only nano-SIM;
Despite the presentation of new products, models 7/7 Plus and 8/8 Plus are still included in the current line of the manufacturer
- Water resistant: iPhone XS. IP68, submersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone 8 Plus. IP67, submersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Battery capacity: XS. 2658 mAh, 8 Plus. 2691 mAh;
- Body frame material: iPhone XS. steel, iPhone 8 Plus. aluminum;
- Dimensions: XS. 143.670.97.7 mm, 8 Plus. 158.478.17.5 mm;
- Weight: XS. 177g, 8 Plus. 202g;
- Additional Notes: Apple claims the XS also differs from its predecessors in improved surround sound, more durable body materials and faster wireless charging. However, there are no specific figures and independent tests yet.
With the announcement of new iPhone models this fall, the price of older models, as Apple has long since established, has dropped by 100. In the English version of the Apple website, the 8 Plus model fell from 800 to 700. This should also have affected the in Russia.
First look at the iPhone XS
iPhone XS and iPhone XR
The key thing you need to know is that the XS is Apple’s 2018 flagship, and the XR is a mid-range model that is a quarter cheaper than the flagship. The XR has a slightly larger display, but otherwise, almost all of its specs are in some way inferior to the flagship. Let’s evaluate where XR is better or worse:
- Display diagonal: iPhone XS. 5.8 ”, iPhone XR. 6.1 ”;
- Display type: iPhone XS. OLED, iPhone XR. IPS LCD;
- Resolution, pixel density: XS. 26881242 (458 PPI), XR. 1792828 (326 PPI);
- 3D Touch support: iPhone XS only;
- Main camera: iPhone XS. dual, 12 MPx (F1.8, 1.4 μm) 12 MPx telephoto. iPhone XR. Single (F1.8, 1.4um).
For the main rear camera module of the XS, XS Max and XR, Apple uses a new sensor with 1.4μm pixels. Previous iPhones from 6S up to and including X relied on Sony’s Exmor IMX315 (1.2μm)
- Optical zoom: iPhone XS. yes, 2x, XR. not supported (since there is no module with a telephoto lens);
- Portrait Lighting: Stage Light and Stage Light Mono effects are available on the iPhone XS for both cameras, on the XR only for the front;
- RAM: iPhone XS. 4 GB, XR. 3 GB;
- Permanent memory: iPhone XS. 64, 256, 512 GB. XR. 64, 128 or 256 GB;
- LTE, maximum download speed: iPhone XS. 1 Gb / s, iPhone XR. 600 Mb / s;
The bezels around the display of the XR (right) are noticeably thicker than those of the premium XS and XS Max.
- Water resistant: iPhone XS. IP68, submersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone XR. IP67, submersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Case materials: iPhone XS. protective glass on both sides, stainless steel frame; iPhone XR. protective glass on both sides 7000 series aluminum frame;
- Body colors: iPhone XS. silver, black, gold. XR. white, blue, black, yellow, coral (pink-orange), red;
- Dimensions: XS. 143.670.97.7 mm, XR. 150.975.78.3 mm;
At the presentation for the XR model, no less time was given than XS. Apple has high hopes for the XR. The smartphone is in many ways superior to last year’s X, and is a quarter cheaper
You’ve probably paid attention to the last comparison points regarding battery life.
There is no mistake there: the XR does indeed last noticeably longer on battery than the XS. The reason is that the more affordable XR has more battery capacity than the flagship, and the components consume less power. See also: New features of smartphones 2019: helping with the choice.
In addition, there are many points in which the iPhone XR is absolutely identical to the more expensive XS model. They do not differ, in particular:
- Display: True Tone support (as in the MacBook Pro 2018) and extended color gamut;
- Processors: Both gadgets use the A12. See also the rating of processors for smartphones;
- Rear camera main module: the same sensor (12 MPx, F1.8, 1.4 μm) for both smartphones;
- Front camera: TrueDepth 7 MPx Face ID (supports Animoji and Memoji);
The iPhone X, XS, and XR have an impressive array of bezel sensors. They did not simplify anything here in the more affordable XR. Otherwise, it could negatively affect Face ID.
- Wireless charging: Qi;
- Stereo speakers and stereo sound recording: in both gadgets;
- Sensors: three-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, proximity and illumination sensors, barometer;
- OS out of the box: iOS 12.
IPhone XS will go on sale in a number of countries on September 21st. The official device will reach Russia a week later: on the 28th of the same month. In turn, the iPhone XR in the world starts much later. on October 26. But in Russia it will be available on the same day.
First look at the iPhone XR from the Miracle of Technology YouTube channel
All the differences between the iPhone XS and XR, X and 8 Plus
Apple has unveiled three new iPhones that will form the 2018 lineup. These are the XS, XS Max and XR models. In this article, we compare the XS to the more affordable XR model, as well as last year’s iPhone X and 8 Plus.
Note that there is no particular point in comparing the XS and XS Max, since they are practically the same device. The processor, cameras, body materials, display type. everything is the same. Only the diagonal of the display differs (5.8 ” for XS, 6.5 ” for XS Max), dimensions and battery capacity.
iPhone XS and iPhone X
Finally, of course, let’s compare the iPhone XS with its direct predecessor. iPhone X. Visually, the devices are practically indistinguishable: the dimensions and shapes have remained absolutely unchanged. The following has changed:
- Processor: iPhone XS. A12 (6 cores CPU 2.5 GHz, 4 cores GPU). iPhone X. A11 (6 2.4 GHz CPU cores, 3 GPU cores);
- RAM: iPhone XS. 4 GB, X. 3 GB;
- Permanent memory: iPhone XS. 64, 256, 512 GB. iPhone X. 64GB or 256GB
- Rear camera, main module: iPhone XS. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.4 μm), iPhone X. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.2 μm);
The presentation slide with the 120 Hz figure misled many. It would seem that the ProMotion feature from the iPad Pro is now available on the iPhone. In fact, this is not the case. The iPhone screen is still refreshed at 60Hz. 120 Hz. Finger Touch Reading Rate
- Front camera: iPhone XS. 7 MPx, Full HD recording at 60 frames per second, stabilization. iPhone X. 7 MPx, Full HD recording at 30 frames per second, no stabilization;
- Depth function (aperture adjustment in post-processing for pictures): iPhone XS only. See the presentation video at the end of the article starting at 1:13:00;
- Sound recording: iPhone XS. stereo, iPhone X. mono;
- LTE, maximum download speed: iPhone XS. 1 Gb / s, iPhone X. 600 Mb / s;
- SIM-cards (for Russia eSIM is not relevant at the moment): iPhone XS. nano-SIM eSIM, iPhone X. only nano-SIM;
An official video highlighting the key innovations of the XS models beautifully (in English)
- Water resistant: iPhone XS. IP68, submersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone X. IP67, submersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Battery capacity: XS. 2658 mAh, X. 2716 mAh;
- Body colors: iPhone XS. silver, black, gold. iPhone X. Silver or Black
- Additional Notes: Apple claims the XS also differs from its predecessors in improved surround sound, more durable body materials and faster wireless charging. It also lasts half an hour longer than the iPhone X on a single charge. However, there are no specific figures and independent tests yet.
The dimensions and weight of the two smartphones do not differ, which gives hope for full compatibility of most of the accessories. By the way, we note that the Lightning-3.5 mm adapter, which made it possible to connect headphones, has disappeared from the standard delivery of the iPhone XS, compared to the X and other older models. Alas, now, if necessary, you need to buy it separately.
Behind Phil Schiller’s back is a practically complete list of iPhone XS versus X innovations. It’s not clear, except why they mentioned support for Bluetooth 5, which was before
Finally, at the presentation, Apple paid a lot of attention to its new A12 processor. iPhone in many hardware parameters may no longer look bright compared to competitors, but you can’t say the same about its “heart”. the Ax series processors. In tests, they very confidently hold a blow against the top-end Snapdragon, Exynos and Kirin.
A12 is used in XS, XS Max and XR. The A11 is the heart of the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X. Let’s compare the A12 to its predecessor, the A11, in a little more detail:
- Manufacturing process: А11. 10 nm (worse); А12. 7 nm (better, more energy efficient);
- Transistors: A11. 4.3 billion A12. 6.9 billion
- Central processing unit (CPU): A11. two powerful Monsoon 2.39 GHz cores four energy efficient Mistral cores. A12. two powerful Vortex 2.49 GHz cores; four energy efficient Tempest cores;
The central processor this time was strengthened by only 15%. Much more attention was paid to the graphics accelerator and the “neural” unit
- The size of the CPU cache (L1i L1d): A11. 32 32 KB; A12. 128 128 KB;
- Graphics processing unit (GPU): A11. 3 cores, A12. 4 cores (Apple claims that the graphics in the A12 are 50% more powerful than its predecessor);
- Neural Engine (special computing unit for tasks related to machine learning): A11. 600 billion operations per second, A12. 5 trillion operations per second.
The changes described above allow the iPhone XS to be noticeably faster than its predecessors. For example, in the popular benchmark AnTuTu, which checks CPU and GPU, the novelty is gaining more than 360 thousand points. Snapdragon 845 results vary from 250 to 290 thousand depending on the smartphone. And the A11 processor takes “only” 220-225 thousand points in AnTuTu.
detailed tests in various benchmarks, as well as real games and applications should appear soon, as soon as the device goes on sale. Enthusiasts will certainly test everything that is possible, as well as discover some as yet unknown characteristics. The same goes for camera tests.
We will try to update and supplement the material as new information becomes available.
Full version of Apple’s September presentation (original)
Battery and charging
Both smartphones are able to replenish the charge level by 50% in just half an hour. As for battery life, there are some differences. If the talk time of the iPhone X is capable of providing 21 hours of battery life, then the iPhone XS. 20 hours. In video mode, the iPhone XS can function for 14 hours, but the X. 13.
- iPhone X: Supports 7.5W wireless charging
- iPhone XS: Supports 7.5W wireless charging, 30 minutes longer battery life
The main guarantee of the implemented operational expansions in the iPhone XS is the replacement of the processor from the A11 Bionic with the updated A12 Bionic. The six-core A12 Bionic processor delivers 15% faster execution of functional aLGorithms and 50% less power consumption. In addition, the A12 Bionic features an eight-core Neural Engine capable of 5 trillion operations in just a second.
- iPhone X: A11 Bionic six-core processor, 10nm chip, Neural engine
- iPhone XS: A12 Bionic 6-core processor, 7nm chip, Neural engine with 8-core architecture, 15% faster, 50% less power consumption
Based solely on the properties of the display, there really is no difference between the two models. Both the iPhone XS and iPhone X are at the same high level of quality in terms of image display and video playback capabilities. The displays of both iPhones are comparable. their diagonal is 5.8 inches, they support HDR, Dolby Vision and True Tone. Bula sets new benchmark for iPhone X with OLED displays.
- iPhone X: 5.8-inch OLED display, 2436 x 1125-pixel resolution (458 ppi), 82.9% bezel display, HDR10 support, Dolby Vision, True Tone
- iPhone XS: 5.8-inch OLED display, 2436 x 1125-pixel resolution (458 ppi), 82.9% bezel display, HDR10 support, Dolby Vision, True Tone
Visually, the differences between the cameras of the iPhone X and XS are not visible, but at the same time, in terms of the provided shooting capabilities, the differences are quite significant. The iPhone XS uses more responsive sensors to display every single pixel more clearly. This in turn allows you to take high quality photos even in low light. XS Smart HDR technology enhances image detail and dramatically expands dynamic range.
- iPhone X: 12MP dual camera, aperture. f / 1.8 and f / 2.4, Auto HDR, Focus Pixels, portrait mode, 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- iPhone XS: 12MP dual camera, aperture. f / 1.8 and f / 2.4, Smart HDR, Focus Pixels, Portrait mode, Depth Control, 7MP TrueDepth front camera
Comparison of iPhone XS and iPhone X: what’s the difference?
The differences between the iPhone X and the iPhone XS lie in their functionality and performance. To delineate the differences more clearly, we will compare their key characteristics and determine what are the advantages of one smartphone in relation to another.
At a superficial glance, it may seem that there is little or no difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone XS. Nevertheless, according to the already established tradition with the addition of “S” to the name. Apple is adding a range of functional extensions to its smartphones. To clearly delineate the differences between the iPhone XS and iPhone X, let’s try to analyze and compare their technical characteristics in detail in terms of operational capabilities, camera properties, display, design and much more.
And again, the differences between the iPhone X and XS are not particularly reflected in the design, the body of both smartphones is made of the same type. Still, some changes have been made to the iPhone XS. If the iPhone X was only available in two colors: Silver and Space Gray, then another color option was added to the XS. Gold. The most significant difference between the two models lies in the protective qualities. iPhone X is able to withstand submersion under water for half an hour, at a depth of 1 meter. But the iPhone XS, at the same time, can withstand immersion by 2 meters.
- iPhone X: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7mm, 174g, IP67
- iPhone XS: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7mm, 177 grams, IP68 rated
iPhone X is available in two storage capacities: 64GB and 256GB. Another option has been added to the iPhone XS. 512 GB. Both smartphones support Face ID, but thanks to the improved Neural Engine, the iPhone XS recognizes and identifies faces faster. In terms of network connectivity, the XS supports Gigabit LTE connectivity. In addition, in the iPhone XS, it became possible to use two SIM cards at the same time, and, accordingly, a dual network connection.
As a conclusion, it is worth noting that, indeed, when comparing the general surface characteristics, the difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone XS is not so significant. But with a closer look and a detailed analysis of operational capabilities, a number of differences are clearly visible. iPhone XS is capable of more photography and has a more powerful and efficient processor. In terms of design, despite the fact that both smartphones are visually similar, the iPhone XS is endowed with the best protective qualities.
Appearance, sizes and colors of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
Outwardly, the larger and smaller models do not differ in anything except sizes.
The dimensions of the iPhone XS are 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm, while the iPhone XS Max is significantly larger. 157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm. In other words, the iPhone XS is exactly the same as the iPhone X and is slightly larger than the iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8, but the iPhone XS Max is noticeably larger.
The iPhone XS weighs 177 g, while the iPhone XS Max weighs 208 g, and this difference is clearly felt. Nevertheless, the language cannot be called too heavy. Rather, it is a pleasant severity, indicating the quality and quality of a smartphone.
Dimensions and weight. that’s the whole difference in the appearance of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Both devices can withstand submersion to a depth of two meters for half an hour (IP68 standard) and are equipped with slots for a regular SIM card and electronic (eSIM). However, Russian users will have to wait for eSIM to work in Russia.
The general characteristics also include stereo speakers, the volume of which has increased by one and a half times compared to previous models, a stainless steel frame and a new color option. rich gold.
iPhone Xs Vs iPhone X | interesting Results!
Comparison of cameras iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
Unlike previous Plus iPhones, which Apple had a more advanced camera than smaller models, the iPhone XS Max got the same great cameras as the iPhone XS.
Both smartphones are equipped with a main 12MP dual-lens camera. The wide-angle lens has an aperture of f / 1.8 and a pixel size of 1.4µm. The telephoto lens has an f / 2.4 aperture and a 1.0µm pixel size. The camera has a dual optical image stabilization system and 2x zoom. It also boasts a Quad ‑ LED True Tone flash with Slow Sync.
As for the front camera system, it is the same for both models. 7-megapixel TrueDepth with f / 2.2 aperture and improved portrait mode with Depth function, which allows you to change the blur of the background even on the finished photo.
Both iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max allow you to shoot in the new Smart HDR mode. Thanks to him, it is possible to capture the smallest details in overexposure or in the shade.
Comparison of battery life of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
The iPhone XS Max has a 3400mAh battery for 25 hours of talk time, while the smaller model has a 2800mAh battery for 20 hours of talk time. As you can see, the large battery capacity of the iPhone XS Max allows you to talk on the phone for five hours longer, which is undoubtedly an advantage.
Despite the difference in capacity, both devices charge the same way. Thanks to the support of fast charging technology, the batteries replenish their charge by 50% in just half an hour.
Comparison of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max: is there a difference other than size?
At the end of a special Apple event, during which the long-awaited successors to the iPhone X. iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max were presented (in-depth review), users were faced with a difficult choice of which of the two devices should be preferred.
As practice shows, the Plus models not only have a larger display, but also have slightly improved performance. However, whether this applies to the iPhone XS, so on the move and do not understand. Below we will tell you how the new models differ and how they are similar, and the choice is yours.
Comparison of characteristics of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max (table)
What is the difference between the iPhone XS screen and the iPhone XS Max
The first thing that catches your eye when looking at the iPhone XS Max is the atypical large screen for the iPhone. It measures 6.5 inches diagonally. 0.7 inches larger than the 5.8-inch iPhone XS. The large model has a screen resolution of 2688 x 1242 pixels, while the iPhone XS is 2436 x 1125 pixels. However, the pixel density of both smartphones is the same at 458 ppi. In addition, both models are equipped with OLED displays. However, compared to the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max has a thinner bezel, which is also immediately striking. The display accounts for 84.4% of the entire surface of the front panel of the smartphone. a personal record for Cupertinians.
Both devices support True Tone technology that automatically adjusts display temperature to ambient light, 3D Touch, HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Comparison of power (performance) iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
In terms of performance, both smartphones are the same here. iPhone XS Max has no advantages over its smaller “brother”.
Both devices received a 6-core Apple A12 Bionic processor, thanks to which they run 20-50% faster than the iPhone X, a record 4 GB of RAM for Apple, an M12 coprocessor and a video chip, this time developed by the Cupertinians themselves.
The novelties also boast support for the new Neural Engine technology, based on machine learning and capable of executing 5 trillion instructions in one second.
Like its predecessor, the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are equipped with Face ID, but now it works even faster thanks to the improved Secure Enclave system.
In terms of the amount of built-in storage, both devices are also the same. Users will be able to purchase versions of 64 GB, 256 GB and a record for Apple 512 GB of memory.
The iPhone XS, in terms of design, is a complete copy of the iPhone X. Of the changes, one can only note the fact that the iPhone XS is 3 grams heavier than the iPhone X: 177 versus 174 grams.
One more color has been added to the assortment. “gold”. The company’s flagship smartphone is now available in three colors.
According to Apple, the iPhone XS has a more durable protective glass. over, both on the display itself and on the back of the case. It looks like it was the glass that caused the slight weight gain.
iPhone XS is IP68 protected. In the predecessor, this figure corresponds to IP67.
In practice, the key difference between the standards is as follows:
Apple assures that the iPhone XS water resistance has been tested in a wide variety of liquids: juice, water, wine and beer. With a smartphone, you can safely dive to the bottom of the pool without worrying about its performance.
However, if water gets inside the gadget, you void the warranty. This is written on the official website of the company.
What makes the iPhone XS different from the iPhone X
Processor and graphics
The iPhone XS has a more powerful A12 Bionic processor. This is the first processor from the company to be manufactured using a 7nm process technology. The predecessor A11 Bionic was produced in 10nm.
Engineers managed to fit 6.9 billion transistors. According to the company, the A12 Bionic compared to the processor installed in the iPhone X:
The A12 Bionic also has a better graphics core. Mobile graphics are processed 50% faster than their predecessor.
Another improvement that Apple is really proud of is the interaction of the new processor with neural networks. Instead of a 2-core coprocessor, the A12 Bionic uses an 8-core.
For comparison, the A11 Bionic neural coprocessor could process up to 600 billion operations per second. The performance of the new chip is eight times higher. It is capable of processing up to 5 trillion operations per second.
For the consumer, this means only one thing: the iPhone XS is able to process data more efficiently in real time. This is useful for AR applications, of which there are not so many yet.
During the presentation, Apple highlighted another point. With the release of iOS 12, which will be optimized for the new processor, the launch speed of applications on the iPhone XS will increase by 30% (compared to the iPhone X).
The diagonal of the iPhone XS display is the same, the resolution is exactly the same: 2436 x 1125 pixels (458 ppi). Super Retina display contrast and maximum brightness unchanged.
But the dynamic range has increased by 60%. Whether the human eye will notice it is a moot point.
The iPhone X also had support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision, so it smoothly migrated to the updated smartphone.
iPhone X was available in two versions: 64 GB and 256 GB.
iPhone Xs vs X. Worth Upgrading?
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max became the first smartphones of the company with built-in storage capacity of as much as 512 GB. This is enough to store 100 thousand photos.
The design of the iPhone XS camera remains the same. Two main sensors of 12 megapixels, represented by wide-angle and tele lenses, and a 7-megapixel selfie module.
At the same time, the size of the sensor increased from 1.2 to 1.4 microns, which affected the light sensitivity of the matrix, which now transmits 50% more light.
Thus, in low light conditions, the iPhone XS shoots better.
IPhone XS introduces depth of field adjustment (depth of field) in portrait mode after taking a photo.
In addition, the iPhone XS also has a Smart HDR mode, which allows you to take several pictures at once with different exposures in an instant.
Speed, speed, speed!
The new camera is also faster. which, in turn, allows you to collect and analyze more information for the picture. And this already brings us to a new feature from Apple. SmartHDR. It is more accurate than the “simple” HDR familiar from the old iPhone, and it does its job faster again, because faster processor processes more image data.
The popular Portrait mode in iPhone XS just got better. thanks to the “Depth” function, it is now possible to blur the background in a photo even after the photo has already been taken. All that is required is to move the corresponding slider on the settings screen to the desired position.
Finally, an updated TrueTone flash makes photos in low light brighter.
How to download a video from VK to an iPhone or iPad and watch without the Internet.
In the front camera of the new iPhones, megapixels (7 MP) also did not increase and the aperture (ƒ / 2.2) remained unchanged, however, there were some changes. In particular, the front camera of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in comparison with the iPhone X received:
- Smart HDR function for photography, instead of HDR;
- Portrait mode with improved bokeh and Depth function, instead of the usual Portrait mode;
- extended dynamic range when recording video at 30 fps. Missing on iPhone X
- cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p). Missing on iPhone X
- 1080p HD video at 30 or 60 fps. IPhone X can’t change HD video quality.
New sensor. better captures in the dark
The main. wide-angle. camera now has a new, enlarged matrix. The pixels on it have become even larger. 1.4 micrometers versus 1.22 micrometers in the iPhone X. An almost 20% increase in pixel depth means that the new camera will perform even better in difficult conditions, because now the matrix recognizes more light.
IOS 12 Review: What’s New, All New Features, Supported Devices.
How about a video? There are fewer innovations here, but there is still significant news. When shooting at 30 frames per second, the dynamic range of the video is expanded. This means that clips will acquire new details, especially on HDR10-capable displays. At the presentation, Apple showed that videos recorded in low light will also be of better quality. they have less grain and noise.
It also became possible to record stereo sound and play it in surround sound.
Neural Engine 2.0
In addition, Apple engineers have integrated the updated Neural Engine into the image recognition processor even deeper. Now it is 8-core, and is taking a more active part in the work on the image. Even before it (the picture) is taken at all! It is enough to point the iPhone XS camera lenses at people, and the Neural Engine instantly recognizes their faces, and determines their contours, i.e. distinguishes the face from the surrounding background, so that the photographer has the opportunity to apply studio lighting effects (the so-called “image segmentation”. By the way, it will also simulate Portrait mode on the iPhone XR with its single camera).
IPhone X, XS, XR gestures: control an Apple smartphone without the Home button. 16 examples.
How the iPhone XS camera differs from the iPhone X: is there a difference?
At first glance, the cameras of the 2017 and 2018 Apple flagships are identical. But under the “hood” of the iPhone X and XS Max (review) is a completely new mechanism! How is the new camera module different from its predecessor, and will it shoot better??
The tech specs page for the iPhone X and the new XS / XS Max seems to leave no doubt: Apple hasn’t done anything special with the camera in the new smartphones. They have the same number of megapixels, the aperture and other key aspects are the same as a year ago (a detailed table of camera characteristics at the end of the article).
But this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Behind “the same” performance hides an improved matrix and faster processor for image processing. Together with a number of other updates, they make it possible to rightfully call the new camera the best in the history of the iPhone.
Apple Watch Series 4 vs Apple Watch Series 3. what’s the difference?
Comparison of the characteristics of cameras iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone X
So does it make sense?
With a great deal of confidence, we can say that Apple engineers have done an excellent job, but still it is worth noting that the difference in the photo and video taken on the iPhone X, iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max is almost impossible to distinguish with the naked eye.
Should you switch from iPhone X to iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max for the sake of minor camera improvements? likely no than yes…