Fn Does Not Work On Asus Laptop
How to enable or disable the Fn key on a laptop
The Fn key, located at the very bottom of laptop keyboards, is required to call the second mode of the F1-F12 keys. In the latest models of laptops, manufacturers increasingly began to make the multimedia mode of the F-keys the main one, and their main purpose has faded into the background and requires simultaneous pressing with Fn. For some users, this option seems convenient, for others, on the contrary, not. In this article, we will explain how to enable or disable Fn.
If you just want to change the F-keys from functional to multimedia or vice versa without disabling the Fn key completely, use the BIOS options. Now, in almost all laptops, this feature is switched there, and by default, after purchasing the device, multimedia mode is activated, thanks to which the user can control the display brightness, volume, rewind and other options.
Expanded on how to change the mode of operation of the F-keys through the BIOS, it is written in the material at the link below.
Turn Fn on and off on laptop keyboard
As mentioned above, depending on the purpose for which the laptop is used, the number of F-keys is used differently for each user. Some people need exactly the functional F-keys, while others are more comfortable with their multimedia mode. When the desired does not coincide with reality, you can turn to ways to enable and disable the Fn key and, as a result, the operation of the entire row of F-keys.
This option is far from universal, since depending on the brand and model of the laptop, the set of secondary assignments for the upper row of keys differs. Nevertheless, it can help some of the readers, and they will not have to go to the more laborious method.
Examine the top row of laptop keys. If there is a lock icon that blocks / allows Fn to work, try using it. Often such an icon is located on Esc, but perhaps it could be in a different place.
In addition, sometimes instead of a lock there is an inscription “FnLk” or “FnLock”, as in the example below.
Press the Fn Esc key combination to unlock / lock the F-row extra mode.
This feature is available in certain laptop models from Lenovo, Dell, ASUS and some others. In modern HP, Acer, etc., blocking is usually absent.
Oddly enough, the driver is responsible for the work of Fn and the F-series subordinate to it. In its absence, the user will need to go to the official website of the laptop manufacturer and contact the support section. Usually any drivers are downloaded from there.
Further, from the list of drivers for your version of Windows (7, 8, 10), you need to find a program (or several programs at once, if they are separated by commas in the list below) that is responsible for the hotkeys. It only remains to download and install her / them like any other software:
- HP. “HP Software Framework”, “HP On-Screen Display”, “HP Quick Launch”, “HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)”. Some applications may not be available for a specific laptop model;
- ASUS. “ATKPackage”;
- Acer. “Launch Manager”;
- Lenovo. “Lenovo Energy Management” / “Lenovo Power Management” (or “Lenovo OnScreen Display Utility”, “Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver”);
- Dell. “Dell QuickSet Application” (or “Dell Power Manager Lite Application” / “Dell Foundation Services. Application” / “Dell Function Keys”);
- Sony. “Sony Firmware Extension Parser Driver”, “Sony Shared Library”, “Sony Notebook Utilities” (or “Vaio Control Center”). For certain models, the list of available drivers will be smaller;
- Samsung. “Easy Display Manager”;
- Toshiba. “Hotkey Utility”.
Now you know how you can not only enable and disable Fn, but also change the operating mode of the entire row of F-keys, partially controlled by the function key.
Update your video adapter driver
The brightness issue may be related to the current video driver. First of all, check that your video card is enabled in the device manager (by analogy with the method above).
If the previous method did not help, try to automatically update your video adapter driver (unless, of course, you have disabled automatic driver updates).
In the device manager (all the same devmgmt.msc console) expand the Display adapters section, find your video card, right-click on it and select Update Driver Software. Then we select the Search automatically for updated driver software option and wait until Windows 10 finds and installs the latest driver (of course, there must be an Internet connection).
If automatic driver update did not fix the problem with the brightness control not working in Windows 10, try uninstalling the current driver and installing the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website.
If it doesn’t help, go to the next method
Screen brightness does not change on a Windows 10 laptop
Some users complain that after a clean installation, updating to Windows 10 from a previous version of the OS, or when installing a new build of Windows 10 on laptops, screen brightness control stops working. When you try to increase or decrease the brightness with the dedicated keys or FnF11 / F12 / other combinations (depending on the laptop model), nothing happens. All other combinations and function keys work correctly.
In most cases, the problem with adjusting the brightness in Windows 10 is related to the monitor and video card drivers (most often the problem occurs on devices with Intel Graphics and AMD Radeon graphics cards). However, there are other reasons as well. Let’s take a look at a few easy ways to fix the problem with the inability to change the brightness on a laptop with Windows 10.
Fn brightness keys do not work on laptop
If you find that the brightness control in Windows 10 settings works fine, but the function keys (Fn) for brightness control on the laptop keyboard do not work, most likely you need to install additional software from the laptop manufacturer.
Each manufacturer names the utilities differently. Please note that you need to download laptop utilities only from the manufacturer’s official website, or from the installation CD / DVD that came with the device. Below are the names of utilities for popular laptop models:
- ASUS. ATK Hotkey Utility
- Sony Vaio. Sony Notebook Utilities
- Dell. QuickSet
- HP. HP Software Framework and / or HP Hotkey Support
- Lenovo. Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10 or AIO Hotkey Utility Driver
Disabled Generic Pnp Monitor
If your system does not have the ability to adjust the brightness in the notification panel and in the display settings, check if the Generic Pnp Monitor (Generic Pnp Monitor) is disabled in your hardware. This is the most common problem on Lenovo and HP Pavilion laptops.
Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and under Monitors check that the Generic Pnp Monitor is enabled. If it is not, right-click on it and enable it (Enable).
Restart your computer and check the brightness adjustment.
Monitor brightness not adjusting after updating to Windows 10 1803
Some users are faced with the fact that after installing the latest Windows 10 1803 (April Update) on many laptop models, the brightness of the monitor stopped adjusting. The brightness is turned on at full at any position of the brightness slider in the settings. The brightness cannot be changed using the keyboard function keys.
In almost 100% of cases, rolling back to Windows 10 version 1709 helps to solve the problem with display brightness. But, of course, this is not an option. There are easier solutions for Windows 10 1803.
First of all, check if you have enabled the “Very bright” tile in the notification bar, perhaps you cannot reduce the brightness because of it.
If the dimming issue occurred immediately after upgrading to Windows 10 1803, install the latest cumulative update KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112) dated June 12, 2018. According to information from Microsoft, it fixes an issue with brightness control on laptops running Windows 10 1803:
Check the display brightness settings in the control panel: Control Panel. Power Options. in the properties of the selected power plan, click on the button Change advanced power settings. Change advanced power settings. expand the Display section (Screen).
In the Enable adaptive brightness item, you need to disable adaptive brightness for mains and battery mode.
Also try changing the settings in the points:
- Display brightness
Brightness not adjusted on a laptop with an Intel graphics card
If your Windows 10 laptop has Intel HD Graphics, you can try to fix the display brightness issue like this:
- Open the registry editor regedit.exe.
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKLM \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000
- Change the FeatureTestControl parameter value from f000 to f008.
- Reboot your laptop.
Or use the following reg file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0001]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0002]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Services \ intelkmd]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
Brightness control does not work after installing TeamViewer
Some users have encountered the brightness control in Windows 10 not working after installing the TeamViewer remote control software. The fact is that during installation TeamViewer adds its own display driver Pnp-Montor Standard to the system, which is used to compress graphics and optimize traffic.
Try replacing the driver for this device with “Generic PnP Monitor” (RMB. Update Drivers. Select from the list of already installed drivers).
Screen Backlight and KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 Registry Option
The following technique involves editing the registry:
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
- Go to branch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000
- Find the DWORD parameter KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 change its value from 1 to 0.
- Because There can be several KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 parameters in the registry, you need to open the search window (F3) and find all other parameters named KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface in the registry. For all found keys, you need to change the value from 1 to 0.
- Reboot your computer.
Switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver
The last thing you can try if all the listed methods did not help is to use the standard Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver for the video card.
- To do this, in the Device Manager hardware console, select the video card, right-click on it and select Update Driver Software from the menu
- Select Browse my computer for driver software-Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
- Select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the list of drivers and click Next
- The system should replace the current driver
- Reboot and test the laptop screen brightness adjustment keys
It might seem strange that a keyboard driver needs to be installed for a laptop. But this also happens when you use a “pirated” copy of Windows or some “crooked repack” that was done by an inadequate person.
You will have to go to the official website of your PC manufacturer and look for the required file for the input device there. And we continue to look for an answer to the question: how to enable the Fn key on an Asus laptop and devices from other brands.
How to enable the Fn button on a laptop?
There are several ways. I think it’s worth starting with the simplest. Try pressing “NumLock Fn” at the same time. The location of these elements is written here.
The second method requires special care, since we will have to go into the settings of the basic input / output system (BIOS). Difficulties should not arise, however, I recommend following all steps of the instructions:
- Restart your computer and at the time of startup (immediately after turning on) press F2 or Esc or Del. Why are there so many options? It all depends on the device. Typically, the desired button is displayed in the message at boot. For example, “press Del to enter Setup”. You can indicate the laptop model in the comments, and I will show you the right solution.
- When a blue or gray settings window appears, use the arrows to go to the “SystemConfiguration” section, and find the “Action Keys Mode” item.
- Change the value to “Enabled” by pressing Enter and selecting the desired option from the list.
- Now you need to press Esc once to exit to the main menu. Use the arrows to select “Exit” and save all the changes made (Save Exit Setup).
- After rebooting the PC, we check the functionality of Fn.
If the Fn key does not work and all of the above methods do not help, then you should use special programs. They are often recorded on a disc that comes with a laptop. But if this DVD is lost, then you have to download the software from the Internet.
- Samsung needs EasyDisplay Manager app;
- For Toshiba. Hotkey Utility or FlashCards Support Utility;
- Sony may require SonySharedLibrary and / or VaioControlCenter;
- Universal utility. MagicKeyboard. Works on almost all models.
The author recommends:
What is Fn for?
With this keyboard element you can:
- enable / disable wireless adapters Wi-Fi, Bluetooth;
- control the brightness and volume levels of the sound;
- send mail messages;
- deactivate the touchpad;
- put laptop to sleep.
Where is the Fn button on the keyboard? Here’s a visual illustration:
Fn does not work on a laptop: reasons and all ways to solve the problem
Hello. Not everyone knows that a regular desktop keyboard is a little different from a laptop. The latter has several specific buttons that allow you to control the functionality of the PC. In this post I will tell you what to do when the Fn button does not work on Asus laptop and other models.
You can find out where this button is located from my previous publication. here is the link. If this key stops working, then a lot of difficulties can arise for the user. Sometimes the opposite situation happens. Fn is always on. How to deal with this, you can find out here.
Cleaning the keyboard
The Fn keys do not work on an Asus laptop. or maybe the reason is so commonplace that you just need to clean the keyboard? In the worst case, mechanical damage or liquid ingress has occurred. We’ll have to use the services of service engineers. But before that, try to solve the problem yourself. Inoperative buttons must be carefully removed (without making great efforts), remove “debris” and put the element in place.
I really hope that my article helped you understand how to enable the Fn button on the keyboard on an Asus laptop and not only. If the defect is not fixed, write me a message in the comments to this post. I will try to answer promptly!
Fn key not working on ASUS laptop
The Fn key is a very important key on any laptop, as it provides additional functionality that varies by model. Today you will find out the possible causes of a malfunction of the “Fn” button on an ASUS laptop, as well as how to solve this problem.
Reason 1. Disable keys
On ASUS notebooks, you can enable and disable the function keys using the following combinations:
Use the above keyboard shortcuts one by one, while checking the serviceability of “Fn”.
Reason 2. BIOS settings
On ASUS notebooks, you won’t be able to turn on and off individual keys, but we can customize their work. If in your case “Fn” does not work correctly, then this solution should help.
Go to BIOS. To do this, turn off your laptop, then hold down the F2 key and without releasing turn on your computer. Hold the F2 button until the BIOS screen appears.
Use the arrows on your keyboard to go to the “Advanced” tab. Move to the “Function Key Behavior” line and change the value to “Function Key”.
In some cases, the function may be missing!
You can save the parameters and exit the BIOS using the “F10” key.
Reason 3. Lack of drivers
Drivers are very often the cause of malfunction of various components of the computer, so it will not be superfluous to check their performance.
Follow the link above, then enter your laptop model in the resource search box.
From the list of results in the “Product” block, click on the found device.
Go to the “Drivers & Utilities” tab.
Specify your operating system by expanding the appropriate list. In the absence of the required item, you can choose another version, but with the same bit depth.
Place the resulting file in a convenient location on your computer.
Unzip and install the resulting driver by running the appropriate shortcut.
ASUS SMART GESTURE
This driver may also solve your problem. You can download it in the same section of the site.
Find the “Pointing Divice” block in the previously received list, then expand it.
Select the latest driver and click the “Download” button to the right of the name.
This procedure is exactly the same as when installing the previous driver.
After completing the above steps, restart the laptop and check the functionality of the Fn key.
Reason 4. Physical breakdown
In some cases, the cause of the problem may be an elementary breakdown of the key, or its contamination. The solution in this case will be an elementary cleaning of the necessary elements and checking the connection contacts.
serious mechanical damage is also possible. In this case, the problem can be solved only by completely replacing the keyboard with a new one.
By trying all of the above recommendations one by one, you will most likely be able to restore the “Fn” key on your ASUS laptop to work. We hope our article helped you.
Fn key not working on laptop. what to do?
Most laptops have a separate Fn key, which, in combination with the keys in the top row of the keyboard (F1. F12), usually performs laptop-specific actions (turning Wi-Fi on and off, changing screen brightness, etc.), or, conversely, without it pressings work these actions, and pressing. the functions of the F1-F12 keys. A common problem for laptop owners, especially after a system update or manual installation of Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7, is that the Fn key does not work.
In this manual, in detail about the common reasons why the Fn key may not work, as well as how to fix this situation in Windows for common brands of laptops. Asus, HP, Acer, Lenovo, Dell and, most interestingly, Sony Vaio (if you are some other brand, you can ask a question in the comments, I think I can help). Also useful: Wi-Fi not working on laptop.
- The main reasons why the Fn key does not work
- Sony Vaio
- Possible problems and how to solve them
The Fn key on Sony Vaio laptops
Despite the fact that the Sony Vaio laptop is no longer available, there are a lot of questions about installing drivers on them, including to enable the Fn key, this is due to the fact that very often drivers from the official website refuse to be installed even on the same OS, with which the laptop came with after reinstalling it, and even more so on Windows 10 or 8.1.
For the Fn key to work on Sony, usually (some may not be available for a particular model), the following three components are required from the official website:
- Sony Firmware Extension Parser Driver
- Sony Shared Library
- Sony Notebook Utilities
- Sometimes. Vaio Event Service.
You can download them from the official page https://www.sony.ru/support/ru/series/prd-comp-vaio-nb (or you can find it by request “your_network_model support” in any search engine, if your model doesn’t have it turned out). On the official Russian website:
- Select your laptop model
- Select your operating system on the “Software and Downloads” tab. Despite the fact that Windows 10 and 8 may be present in the lists, sometimes the drivers you need are available only if you select the OS with which the laptop was originally shipped.
- Download the required software.
But further problems may arise. not always Sony Vaio drivers want to be installed. There is a separate article on this topic: How to install drivers on Sony Vaio Notebook.
Fn key on Asus laptop
For the operation of the Fn key on Asus laptops, a set of software and drivers ATKPackage is responsible. ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities, available for download on the official Asus website. At the same time, in addition to the installed components, the hcontrol.exe utility should be at startup (added to startup automatically when installing ATKPackage).
How to download Fn key and function key drivers for Asus laptop
- Searching on the Internet (Google recommend) enter “your_laptop_model support”. usually the first result is the official driver download page for your model on asus.com
- Select the required OS. If the version of Windows you need is not listed, select the closest one that is available, it is very important that the bitness (32 or 64 bit) matches the version of Windows that you have installed, see How to find out the bitness of Windows (article about Windows 10, but also suitable for previous OS versions).
- Optional, but may increase the likelihood of step 4 being successful. download and install the drivers from the Chipset section.
- In the ATK section download ATKPackage and install it.
After that, you may need to restart the laptop and, if everything went well, you will see that the Fn key on your laptop is working. If something went wrong, below is a section on typical problems when fixing broken function keys.
Different sets of Fn key software are available for different Lenovo notebook models and generations. In my opinion, the easiest way, if the Fn key on Lenovo does not work, is to do this: enter “Your_Laptop_model support” in the search engine, go to the official support page (usually the first one in the search results), in the “Top Downloads” section, click “View all »(View all) and check what from the list below is available for download and installation on your laptop for the required version of Windows.
- Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit). http://support.lenovo.com / ru / en / downloads / ds031814 (only for supported laptops, list at the bottom of the specified page).
- Lenovo Energy Management (Power Management). For most modern laptops
- Lenovo OnScreen Display Utility
- Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver
- If only the FnF5, FnF7 combinations do not work, try additionally installing the official Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers from the Lenovo website.
Additional information: on some Lenovo laptops, the FnEsc combination switches the mode of the Fn key, this option is also present in the BIOS. the HotKey Mode item in the Configuration section. ThinkPad notebooks may also have a BIOS “Fn and Ctrl Key Swap” option that swaps the Fn and Ctrl keys.
Function keys on Dell Inspiron, Latitude, XPS, and more laptops typically require the following driver and application sets to work:
- Dell QuickSet Application
- Dell Power Manager Lite Application
- Dell Foundation Services. Application
- Dell Function Keys. for some older Dell laptops shipped with Windows XP and Vista.
You can find the drivers that are required for your laptop as follows:
- in the support section of the Dell website http://www.dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/ specify your laptop model (you can use automatic detection or through the “View Products”).
- Select Drivers & Downloads, change OS version if needed.
- Download the required applications and install them on your computer.
Please note that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth keys may require original wireless drivers from Dell for proper operation.
Additional Information: In BIOS (UEFI) on Dell laptops, the Advanced section may contain a Function Keys Behavior item that changes how the Fn key works. enables multimedia functions or the actions of the Fn-F12 keys. Also, the Dell Fn key settings can be in the standard Windows Mobility Center.
Reasons why the Fn key does not work on a laptop
To begin with. about the main reasons why Fn may not function on a laptop keyboard. As a rule, the problem is encountered after installing Windows (or reinstalling), but not always. the same situation may arise after disabling programs at startup or after some BIOS settings (UEFI).
In the overwhelming majority of cases, the situation with a non-working Fn is caused by the following reasons
- There are no specific drivers and software from the laptop manufacturer for the function keys to work. especially if you reinstalled Windows and then used the driver pack to install the drivers. It is also possible that there are drivers, for example, only for Windows 7, and you have installed Windows 10 (possible solutions will be described in the section on troubleshooting).
- The Fn key requires the manufacturer’s utility to be running, but this program has been removed from Windows startup.
- The Fn key behavior has been changed in the BIOS (UEFI) of the laptop. some laptops allow Fn settings to be changed in the BIOS, they may also change when the BIOS is reset.
Most often, point 1 is the cause, but then we will consider all the options for each of the above brands of laptops and possible scenarios for fixing the problem.
For the full operation of the Fn key and the associated function keys in the top row on HP Pavilion and other HP notebooks, the following components are required from the official website
- HP Software Framework, HP On-Screen Display, and HP Quick Launch from Software Solutions.
- HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Tools from Utility. Tools.
At the same time, for a specific model, some of the above items may be missing.
To download the necessary software for your HP laptop, search the Internet for “Your_Laptop_model support”. usually the first result is the official page on support.HP.com for your laptop model, where in the “Software and drivers” section, just click “Go”. and then select the version of the operating system (if yours is not in the list, choose the closest one in chronology, the bit depth must be the same) and download the necessary drivers.
Additionally: in the BIOS on HP notebooks, there may be an item to change the behavior of the Fn key. Located in the “System Configuration” section, the Action Keys Mode item. if Disabled, then the function keys work only with Fn pressed, if Enabled, then without pressing (but to use F1-F12 you need to press Fn).
If the Fn key does not work on an Acer laptop, then usually it is enough to select your laptop model on the official support site https://www.acer.com/ac/ru/RU/content/support (in the “Select device” section, you can specify the model manually. without a serial number) and indicate the operating system (if your version is not in the list, download drivers from the nearest one in the same bit as installed on the laptop).
In the download list, in the “Application” section, download the Launch Manager program and install it on your laptop (in some cases, you will also need the chipset driver from the same page).
If the program has already been installed, but the Fn key still does not work, make sure that Launch Manager is not disabled in Windows startup, and also try to install Acer Power Manager from the official website.
Possible problems and solutions when installing software and drivers for the Fn key
- The driver is not installed, because it writes that the OS version is not supported (for example, if it is only for Windows 7, but you need Fn keys in Windows 10). try unpacking the exe-installer using the Universal Extractor program, and inside the unpacked folder find it yourself drivers for installing them manually, or a separate installer that does not check the system version.
- Despite the installation of all the components, the Fn key still does not work. check if there are any options in the BIOS related to the operation of the Fn key, HotKey. Try to install the official chipset and power management drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Hope the instruction helps. If not, and additional information is required, you can ask a question in the comments, only, please, indicate the exact model of the laptop and the version of the installed operating system.
Turn on fn through BIOS
Now we will try to start the operation of this key by entering the BIOS. In this case, you need to be extremely careful, because if you make a mistake, problems may arise with the laptop. Therefore, do everything in steps:
- So, you need to restart your computer and press the Del, Esc or F button during startup. If you have Windows 10 installed and you cannot enter the BIOS using these buttons, I advise you to read my article “How to enter the Windows 10 BIOS”. In it, I give 5 ways to do this;
- When you enter it, you need to use the arrows to go to the “SystemConfiguration” tab, then you need to look for the “Action Keys Mode” command;
- Next, you need to change the word “Disabled” to “Enabled”, which means “Enabled”. To do this, press “Enter” and select the required option from the list;
- Then, you need to click on the “Esc” key to enter the main window. Then, using the arrows, go to “Exit” and to save the settings made, select (Save Exit Setup);
- We reboot the laptop and check the functioning of the fn key.
Installing the required drivers
Installing drivers for your Laptop keyboard can be fun. But, if you consider that quite a few users install an illegal version of Windows or install an incorrectly treated program that a not very diligent programmer was involved in, everything falls into place. As a result, some of the buttons on the keyboard may fail.
In this case, you need to enter the main resource of the manufacturer of this laptop and find the driver for the keyboard that we need so much on the manufacturer’s website. Usually, in such cases, you need to enter the laptop model and look at the required drivers. Also, there may be a button on the site, thanks to which this resource will itself determine the model of your laptop. In addition, you can contact laptop support.
- For ASUS ,
- HP Laptops ,
- Aser ,
- Lenovo ,
- Sony Vaio
How to enable fn on a laptop?
There are several options to enable this button. So let’s use the simplest one. To enable it, you need to press two buttons “NumLock Fn” at once. If you forgot where NumLock is, take a look at the screenshot.
Why is the fn key needed?
This button on the laptop keyboard allows you to:
- Make monitor colors more vivid;
- It makes the sound of this device louder or quieter;
- It has the ability to disable or enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi;
- Can disable touchpad;
- Send letters;
- Put the Laptop to sleep.
Each laptop model has its own hotkeys. If you want to know more about them, then you should carefully study the instructions for your gadget. Also, you can download it from the official website of your laptop.
So, let’s imagine that all the methods that I listed above did not help you, then in this case, we need to apply proprietary programs. Quite often, such programs are found on the DVD that comes with a laptop. If the required laser disk is lost, we will download these utilities on the Internet:
- For Samsung, we are looking for the following EasyDisplay Manager program;
- For Toshiba. Hotkey Utility or FlashCards Support Utility;
- For Sony, looking for SonySharedLibrary or VaioControlCenter;
- A program that works on all laptops. MagicKeyboard
The Fn button does not work on a laptop Asus, Samsung, HP and other 5 methods to solve the problem
Good afternoon friends. The fn button does not work on Asus laptop and other models. What can be done in this case and how to fix it? People who are accustomed to working on stationary computers do not always know that the Laptop keyboard has its own nuances and differences from the usual one. These nuances help to better manage laptop performance.
If you have forgotten where this button is located, I can remind you that it is in the bottom row to the left of the second from the Ctrl key. This can be clearly seen in the picture. But, quite often it happens that the fn button on a laptop may stop functioning for some reason. Also, the reverse course of actions is possible. It may happen that Fn will act as if it is constantly pressed by someone. It’s also frustrating.
Cleaning up the keyboard
Your fn key still refuses to function? Have you ever thought that the reason for its failure lies on the surface, and you just need to clean the keyboard from debris? Or maybe this button is just damaged? If so, then you need to contact the service center.
But, while you’re not there yet, let’s try to clear it ourselves. Examine the keyboard carefully and check if this button can be removed, carefully cleaned and put back in place? If not, try cleaning the entire keyboard with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. It is possible that the latter method will solve your problem.!
Lack of drivers
Most often, the main reason for the inoperability of the “Fn” key on an ASUS laptop is the lack of suitable drivers. This may be due to the installation of an unsupported operating system, or a system failure.
- Click on the link provided and on the page that opens, enter your laptop model in the text field. You can find out this information in several ways.
From the list of results in the “Product” block, click on the found device.
Use the menu to switch to the “Drivers and Utilities” tab.
Select the appropriate system version from the “Specify OS” list. If the OS is not in the list, specify a different version, but the same bitness.
Scroll down the list to the “ATK” block and, if necessary, click on the “Show all” link.
Next to the latest version of the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities package, click the Download button and save the archive on your laptop.
Next, perform an automatic installation of the driver, having previously unzipped the files.
In a situation with drivers from another system, there should be no errors. Otherwise, try installing the package in compatibility mode.
ASUS Smart Gesture
Additionally, you can download and install the “ASUS Smart Gesture” driver in the same section on the official ASUS website.
- On the previously opened page, find the “Pointing Divice” block and, if necessary, expand it.
From the list, select the latest available driver version “ASUS Smart Gesture (Touchpad Driver)” and click the “Download” button.
With this archive, you need to do the same as with the main driver.
Now all that remains is to restart the laptop and check the functionality of “Fn”.
In the case of ASUS laptops, you cannot disable or enable function keys via BIOS, but you can customize their work. If “Fn” does not work correctly on your laptop, our instructions may well help.
- Restart the laptop and enter BIOS according to the instructions.
Press “F10” key to save parameters and exit BIOS.
After the performed actions, the “Fn” key will become mandatory when accessing the laptop function keys. If the described actions did not bring the desired result, you can proceed to the following causes of the malfunction.
Reasons for the inoperability of the “Fn” key on an ASUS laptop
“Fn” on the keyboard of any laptop, including devices from ASUS, plays an important role, allowing you to control additional features using function keys. In case of failure of this key, we have prepared this instruction.
If none of the sections of this manual helped you with fixing the problem, the cause of the problem may be a broken keyboard or specifically the “Fn” key. In this case, you can resort to cleaning and checking the connection contacts.
Fatal injuries are also possible, for example due to physical impact. The problem can be solved only by completely replacing the keyboard with a new one, depending on the laptop model.
In most cases, ASUS notebooks enable and disable the function keys by using the following combinations:
Try using the indicated keyboard shortcuts while checking the functionality of “Fn”.
Fn key does not work on ASUS laptop
The most common cause of Fn key problems is a recent reinstallation of the operating system. However, in addition to this, there may be malfunctions of drivers or physical damage to buttons and the keyboard as a whole.
In the course of the article, we examined all the possible reasons for the inoperability of the “Fn” key on ASUS notebooks. If you have any questions, ask us in the comments.