Each owner of a red-eared turtle should know the rules for choosing a filter for an aquarium. After all, aquatic animals strongly pollute the microflora of the environment with waste products, and also feed on food, which quickly deteriorates and pollutes the water. Currently, special devices come to the aid of water animal lovers, which saturate water with oxygen and automatically purify it. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at filters for red-eared turtles and how to choose them correctly.
To choose the right filter, you need to know the technical requirements for them, the types of devices, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
Aquarium filters come in two forms:
Types of filtering devices
Both external and internal cleaning devices are divided into five types:
- Mechanical. The simplest filter, it is made of a motor and a suction tube with a piece of foam inside. Suitable for small fish tanks.
- Chemical. This is a filter in which a filler such as an adsorbent is used. Most often, coal is used for this. Such devices are more suitable for terrarium with turtles than mechanical ones.
- Biological. In this filter there is a special compartment in which beneficial bacteria multiply. They have a positive effect on the water in the aquarium, further purifying it.
- Combined. A universal filter that combines different devices.
The internal devices for aquariums, as a rule, are a plastic container with side openings through which water enters. Inside are installed cartridges with filter media, most often a sponge. After time, beneficial bacteria grow in it, and the filler begins to work as a biological filter. At the top of the device is a pump with a diffuser. She pumps water and saturates it with oxygen.
You can install such filters for red-eared turtles in any position both horizontally and vertically. This allows you to place them in shallow aquariums. When purchasing an internal device, it should be borne in mind that you need to install the filter in a separate compartment, since water turtles can easily bite through the tubes.
Many aquarium owners complain about the poor performance of internal filtering devices. This often causes them to quickly become clogged. Internal filters for red-eared turtles, as a rule, are placed in small aquariums with a volume of 50-100 liters, which are intended for medium-sized animals.
In order to get around all these shortcomings, lovers of aquatic animals should get an external device. They are especially suitable for owners of large turtles with a shell length of 10-15 centimeters.
For such amphibians, a capacity of more than 120 liters is needed. When purchasing an external filter for red-eared turtles, it should be borne in mind that its production should be at least 8-10 volumes of the aquarium per hour. Externally, the device resembles a canister. Water is purified in a container that looks like a tank, and it is attached to the outside of the aquarium. Water is pumped from the terrarium to the filter and vice versa thanks to the pump, as well as the outlet and intake plastic pipes.
Inside the external filter for the Red-eared Turtle there are several compartments for various types of fillers, which perform the function of cleansing. They also reproduce bacteria that provide biological treatment of water. Through the intake pipe, water is taken from the tank. Then it is run through the filter itself with the appropriate fillers, and the already enriched with oxygen and purified liquid is poured back into the aquarium.
Pros of an external device
The external filter for the water-eared turtle eared water has the following advantages:
- The device saves space, in addition, it does not spoil the design.
- Animals cannot break the filter and injure themselves (except in rare cases).
- External filter is easy to maintain. It is washed no more than once a month, and in some cases once every three months.
- An external filtering device for the aquarium creates a flow of water, mixing it and saturating it with oxygen.
- A large number of bacteria develop in the fillers of such filters, which provide biological purification of water from waste products living in the aquarium of animals.
- Aquael UNIMAX 150 (canister, 450 l / h) – may leak from under the lid;
- Aquael Unifilter UV (500 l / h) – poorly cleans water.
Eheim is a well-known manufacturer. The company makes expensive, but very good devices. The brand is considered the best in terms of noiselessness, reliability and quality of water purification.
JBL is another German manufacturer. Two filters are worth highlighting here: CristalProfi e900 (900 l / hr for aquariums of 300 liters) and CristalProfi e1500 (1500 l / hr for tanks of 600 liters). Devices are ready to use and are fully equipped. These filters are positioned as reliable and practical. In addition, they have a modern design. Of the minuses, only a complaint is noted about a very tight pumping button.
How to mount the internal filter device
The internal filter for the aquarium for eared turtles is installed as follows:
- To start, the aquarium is half filled with water.
- All parts of the filter part are dried before assembly.
- The device is immersed in the aquarium from the opposite side of the turtles (at this moment it should not be connected to the outlet).
- Using suction cups, the device is attached to the walls of the terrarium, while the filter should not touch the bottom.
- Tubes for air intake are brought out.
- After doing all the procedures, the device is plugged into a power outlet (a flow of water should appear).
How to mount an external filter device
The external filter for the aquarium for red-eared turtles is installed as follows:
- The ends of the hoses for the release of water and its intake are lowered in opposite directions of the aquarium.
- The device is filled with water for the aquarium: for this, the water intake pipes are connected to the threads on the filter cover, then the tap opens and water is poured.
- An outlet hose is attached to the device, and water is poured through the free end, after which it is attached to a plastic outlet in the aquarium.
- After the manipulations are done, both taps on the filter open at once, then the device can be plugged into a power outlet (the water will begin to mix).
It should be noted that any filter for rubella should be cleaned once every 1-2 months, since these amphibians leave an abundance of waste in the habitat. Do not use detergents to clean the aquarium itself.
It is very important to choose a quality filter device for the aquarium. This will help not to worry about breakdowns during prolonged use, which will save the nerves and money of the owner. It is best to give preference to external filters from trusted manufacturers.