DJVU is one of the most common e-book formats. Scanned documents, magazines and books are distributed in this format. When downloading such files from the Internet, users often find that they don’t know how to open a DJVU file. On most computers, programs for working with this format are simply not installed.
In this article we will consider a number of free programs with which you can open DJVU files, and also briefly talk about this format of electronic books.
How to open djvu file
There are not so many programs for working with DJVU, and there are even fewer high-quality and free programs. Now we will consider a number of free programs. After verbally one of them, you will no longer have problems opening DJVU files.
WinDjView is one of the best programs of this type. WinDjView is a fast and convenient program for reading documents in djvu format. The program provides a large number of various functions for convenient work with the document. If this is your first time dealing with this format and don’t know how to open a djvu file, I recommend using this program. So you can avoid unnecessary problems and save your time. Using the link above you can easily download the free djvu program.
Consider the main features of the WinDjView program:
- Support for all versions of the Windows operating system, starting with Windows 2000.
- View a document in single-page or continuous mode, view in spread mode.
- Support for a large number of languages. Among which is Russian.
- Ability to create custom annotations and bookmarks.
- View thumbnails of pages.
- Opening multiple documents in tabs or in separate windows.
- Ability to work in full screen mode.
- Dictionary support for translating individual words in text.
- Saving pages as separate images.
- Page rotation 90 degrees.
- Page display settings. Change the scale, brightness, gamma and contrast.
- Control and navigation through a document using the keyboard and mouse.
DjVu Reader is another fairly popular program designed to open djvu files. The program has small system requirements, a simple interface and can work without installation. In order to start using DjVu Reader just download the archive with the program and unzip it to any folder.
Other features of DjVu Reader:
- Work with documents in single-window and two-window modes.
- Ability to customize the display of the document. The user can set the brightness, contrast and other parameters.
- Search through the text of the document.
- Copy text and pictures.
- Several document display modes. The screen may display one or more pages of rhinestones.
- Document navigation using the keyboard or mouse.
STDU Viewer is a universal program for viewing electronic books. With this program you can open not only files in djvu format, but also other popular e-book formats. At the same time, versatility is not the only advantage of this program. The program supports the Russian language and is equipped with everything necessary for the full work with electronic documents.
Other features of the STDU Viewer program:
- Support for all popular e-book formats. Among which: PDF, DjVu, Comic Book Archive (CBR or CBZ), XPS, FB2, ePub, TCR and many others.
- Support for popular image formats. Using STDU Viewer you can view BMP, JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG and other image formats.
- Simple and intuitive interface with support for tabs and page thumbnails.
- Ability to create custom bookmarks.
- Search by text.
- Manage font settings.
CoolReader is another high-quality universal program for working with e-books. With it, you can open DJVU files, as well as files in the formats FB2, CHM, EPUB, TXT, RTF, DOC, MOBI, PDB, HTML and TCR. CoolReader is open source software. There are versions for all popular operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, OS / 2, Android and Symbian OS.
Other features of CoolReader:
- View one or more pages at once.
- View books in full screen.
- Reading text out loud.
- Recognition of various text encodings.
- Create custom bookmarks.
- Search by text.
- View footnotes.
- View books directly from the archive without unpacking.
- Work without installation.
Djvu format is intended for storing scanned images. It was designed for convenient viewing of scanned books, journals, scientific materials and other text documents.
The use of this format is especially relevant in cases where the text contains a large number of elements, the recognition of which is complicated. Such elements can be formulas, tables, diagrams, figures. Also, this format is often used to store text information that is not intended for recognition. For example, for storing scanned parchments or other historical documents.
For many Djvu libraries, the format has become the main format for storing digitized books. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary to know how to open a djvu file format. Otherwise, you will not be able to work properly with the digitized versions of many books.