Connecting to a TV Via Usb
Before connecting your phone, you need to make sure that your TV has the appropriate USB connector. It is usually located on the side or back.
To correctly connect, the user needs:
- A smartphone with the operating system Android, IOS, Windows Phone or Chrome OS;
- USB cable included when purchasing a smartphone;
- TV connector.
You can connect the phone to the TV via USB cable in three ways:
- Connection as an electronic medium. Allows you to transfer data, move, rename, and also open supported files.
- Using mobile as a media console. Used as a player, reproduces photos, videos.
- Using wireless interfaces. Most often, it implies the use of a local, remote network.
Walkthrough for connecting your mobile phone to the TV via USB:
- Connect both devices with a cable. Make sure they are included.
- Using the television remote control, press the “AV”, “Input” or “Source” button. Select “SD card” or “Phone” (depending on the TV menu interface).
- After a few seconds, access to the files of the mobile phone will be obtained.
Advantages of cable connection:
- Fast response time;
- Allows you to save battery power;
- Does not require internet;
- The ability to charge a smartphone.
- Most file systems are not supported;
- There is no access to the Internet;
- There is no possibility to run applications, as well as games.
Therefore, it is a classic option to join the TV. It is convenient to take a cable with you. The user does not need to think about programs to pair devices. The cost of the cable starts from 150 rubles, depending on the desired length.
Connectivity Issues and Solutions
The most common problems:
- The device is not detected;
- The phone does not charge from the TV;
- Only viewing photos is available.
If the mobile phone is not detected, then the problem lies in choosing the type of pairing. For smartphones running on Android and IOS, there is a special function for choosing a connection method.
Connection setup instructions for Android:
- After connecting the smartphone, the operating mode will be displayed at the top.
- Call up the top menu and click on “USB Charging”.
Fig 1. Menu with connection methods
- Select File Transfer.
Figure 2. USB modes
- If there is no data transfer option, it is recommended to use the “Camera (PTP)” mode. This will make it possible to view all photos, however, video and audio files will not be available for viewing.
- If the menu with the working methods does not appear, then you must first connect the smartphone to a computer or laptop. Then, select the desired option again and connect the cellular to the TV.
Connection Setup Guide for iOS:
- With a direct connection of an iOS device, a TV, it will only charge. In order to use the iPhone or iPad as a drive, you must purchase an adapter. Due to the built-in converter, it makes it possible to connect using the AV adapter.
- Connect the adapter to the device using the standard cable from the charger. The back of the adapter must be connected using an HDMI cable, which is also connected to the back or side of the TV.
- Press the “Source” button on the TV remote control. Select “HDMI Number”. It depends on the port number.
- After a few seconds, the image will be transmitted to the television screen of the TV from the cellular.
Using connectivity options through debugging
Video: Connecting to a TV Via Usb
If USB connection methods do not even appear on the computer, it is recommended that you enable debugging mode. To do this, you need to unlock the settings for developers. This is only possible for mobile on Android.
Instructions for enabling debugging:
- Go through the settings to the item “About phone” (“About device”).
- Click on the line “Build Number” / “Model Name” 10 times. A notification about the inclusion of the developer mode will be displayed.
Fig 3. Settings menu and build number
- Return to the “Settings” item. Click the line “Developer Options”. Turn on debug mode. Try connecting the smartphone to the TV again. Select your preferred pairing method.
Figure 4. Activating USB debugging
If after enabling debugging the problem persists, then you need to use third-party programs to change the connection protocol.
Changing the connection mode using programs
You can connect the phone to the TV via USB through special programs. If the device does not show connection methods, then you can use third-party software. To do this, you need to install the USB Mass Storage (UMS) program. You can download the application using the Play Market. Only supported for Android.
Connection Protocol Change Guide:
First of all, you need to enable superuser (root) rights. To do this, enable the debugging described above.
- Launch the UMS app. Confirm root permissions.
Figure 5. Requesting root rights
Fig 6. Activating the phone as a drive
Alternative joining options
In addition to the standard cable connection, there are other ways to connect:
- Use an HDMI cable to set up digital data transfer;
- Use Wi-Fi to get wireless transmission, data transmission.
HDMI Connection Instructions
- The first thing to do is to purchase a phone adapter and an HDMI cable. Look carefully at the type of HDMI. In total, two are used. Standard HDMI, as well as micro HDMI, which has a significantly smaller size.
- Connect the device to the adapter, and then use the HDMI cable to connect to the television.
- On the cellular, you need to select the media player mode to switch to the digital data channel.
- Using the TV remote, press “Source”. Select “HDMI”. After a few seconds, the TV screen will broadcast the image from the cell.
Advantages of HDMI connection:
- Digital connection gives a high-quality picture;
- The ability to broadcast the screen and view any data;
- Easy to learn, connect, does not require much time.
- You need to buy additional adapters and cables;
- The use of full functionality requires the installation of special programs;
- Low performance with older models of equipment.
Wireless Connection Guide
You can connect your phone to your LG TV via USB using the built-in Smart Share application. To do this, you will also need to connect both devices to a wireless home network, and then enable Smart Share through the TV settings menu. For mobile, the program is downloaded from the official website of the manufacturer or Google Play. Devices are synchronized similarly to the example of Samsung.
Advantages of connecting to Wi-Fi:
- Quick response;
- Wide functionality;
- Inexpensive Wi-Fi adapter;
- No wires needed.
- Some TV models do not support Wi-Fi, because they do not have built-in programs for pairing;
- You need to spend time to understand the programs.
Wi-Fi Direct Connection
There is a built-in solution that allows you to connect from a smartphone to a TV without the use of adapters and additional expenses. Today, all well-known brands have this feature by default. The system requires built-in Wi-Fi in the TV and one home network.
- Go to the “Settings”. Select “Wireless & Networks,” and then “Wi-Fi Direct.” Confirm the action to enable the option.
- In the main menu of the TV settings, select the “Network” item. Click on the line “Wi-Fi Direct”. Turn on device search. Choose your smartphone.
- Confirm pairing devices. To do this, simply click the “Yes” button to approve the connection.
Usually the Wi-Fi Direct line can be found in the item “Wi-Fi”. “Advanced Settings”.
In addition to wireless interfaces, there are television set-top boxes. This solution is great for those who do not have Wi-Fi. Receivers can be presented as small cards or rectangular boxes. The most common set-top box models work on the Google TV platform. They support most Android smartphones.
Step by step instructions:
- First of all, the user must purchase an adapter. Typically, this is a micro connector with HDMI support. Modern consoles have all the main connectors.
- Connect the receiver with all image sources.
- Use the “Source” button to switch to the console.
Typically, consoles have their own control panel. If it is absent, then you can use the cellular.
Connecting a phone to a TV via cable remains the most common way to pair devices. Before using alternative connection methods, it is recommended to try connecting using debugging.