Connecting Computer To Wi-Fi
Inquiries on the topic of how to connect a laptop to a TV via wifi are gaining more and more popularity. We will explain how to correctly connect a laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi without a cable and without loss of image quality (Figure 1).
Basics of connecting a laptop to a TV
A very common question among computer users is how to connect a TV as a monitor via wifi. The idea of broadcasting an image from a small screen to a wide diagonal of TV attracts moviegoers and gamers. Of course, buying a specialized widescreen monitor for watching downloaded movies, games or listening to music is unreasonably expensive. Since almost every apartment has a plasma TV, they can be easily used instead of a monitor. On a wide diagonal, the picture looks more realistic, and the viewer receives several times more emotions from viewing. However, you do not always have special HDMI system cables at hand to connect, and a personal computer may be located too far from the monitor. The wired connection is out of date, so we will explain how to connect the laptop to the TV via wifi. You can also study our article on how it is possible to find out a password from Wifi if you forget it.
Smart TV is an actively gaining popularity of digital monitors, the main principle of which is to connect to the Internet. Connecting a laptop to smart TV via wifi is not difficult, since each of them is equipped with a powerful Wi-Fi module. It should be remembered: for pairing, both the computer and smart TV must be connected to one router (one network). The principles of connecting the screen to Wi-Fi vary, depending on the brand of the manufacturer. Our article provides instructions for Smart TV from such world-famous and popular companies as Samsung, LG and Sony, as well as the features of connecting Windows 10 (Figure 2).
Samsung Connectivity Features
To connect the Samsung TV to the laptop via wifi, you should use special programs: for example, samsung Allshare PC (Figure 3). The algorithm for connecting a laptop to a Samsung TV via wifi is as follows:
- Go to the “Menu” in the settings, select the “Network” section, then “Network Settings”, where we click on the “Start” button. After the list of possible connections appears, select the network and enter the security password (if installed);
- In the settings of the PC or laptop, go to the “Network” section and connect to the same network as the TV;
- From a personal computer, go to the browser on the manufacturer’s official website, select the model and download the Allshare PC extension for it for free. Then the program should be installed and proceed to the configuration. If both devices are connected to the same router, then this will be displayed in the program menu. Combine devices by checking the corresponding box;
- On the PC, a folder is created and indicated in the “Device List” menu, the files from which will be broadcast on the plasma screen;
- On TV, go to the standard program Allshare Play. In the left side menu, select the type of media file that you want to run (for example, “music” or “video”). The program displays the available folders and folder contents.
Sony Connection Features
To connect your laptop to your Sony TV via wifi, you should use the special Wi-Fi Direct program. The connection is as follows:
- Go to the “Explorer” on the PC and select the “Network” option. After the announcement “Network discovery and file sharing are disabled” appears, right-click on it and select the “Enable.” option. Access to the media files on your computer will be open. Then, in the message that appears, select the option “Create a private network”;
- Switch the network value in the settings to “Home”;
- Activate the Wi-Fi Direct program in the TV settings by clicking on the “Home” tab. By clicking on the tab indicated by the suitcase icon, enter the “Network” section. Activate the “Built-in Wi-Fi” and “Wi-Fi Direct” modes;
- Go to the TV menu “Wi-Fi Direct Settings”, where we select the desired object from the available for pairing;
- Connect devices.
The advantage of Wi-Fi Direct is that it does not require internet to connect the plasma to the laptop / smartphone. Thanks to the built-in software, connecting a laptop to a Sony TV via wifi is very simple.
LG Connection Features
Smart TV from the manufacturer LG has a built-in program for transmitting images from a PC / laptop to TV. LG Smart Share. To connect your laptop to your LG TV via wifi, use the following algorithm:
- Download the free LG Smart Share application from the official site;
- Upon completion of installation and launch of the program, a window will be displayed in which different categories of multimedia files (“music”, “video”, “photo”) will be indicated. Choose one of the categories. Immediately after this, an automatic search will be performed for all video files on the computer;
- We create separate folders to make it easier to find the necessary files and open sharing;
- Go to the menu on the TV and select the “Smart Share” option;
- Go to the tab “Connected devices” and select from the list the name of the network to which the PC is connected;
- After connecting the devices, go to “All folders” and select the media file of interest.
Setting up translation from PC / laptop to the screen from the manufacturer LG is very simple and does not require a long study of the instructions. Note that LG Smart Share also works without restrictions on Smart TV from the manufacturers described above. Sony and Samsung. The principle of operation remains unchanged. Using this application, you will significantly save both your time and the money that you could spend on buying an HDMI cable.
Connect from Windows 10
Connecting Smart TV to a computer running Windows 7/8 / 8.1 is significantly different from connecting to the latest version OS. Windows 10 has a built-in transfer of multimedia files to any object over the network, as well as broadcast to two screens at once without the help of third-party programs. Windows 10 devices can be connected to the TV via wifi in the following ways:
Video: Connecting Computer To Wi-Fi
- We connect the PC and the monitor to the same network;
- Go to the computer control panel, select “Multimedia Streaming Settings” and enable the transfer option in the window that appears;
- Configure the name and list of devices that have access to the network. It is worth noting that each device in the list can be configured individually;
- On TV we go into the shared data folder and enjoy watching.
To broadcast the desktop to an external screen, the following settings are provided:
- Press the Win P key combination, a menu will appear in which you should choose one of the four image transmission options.
You can transfer an image to a monitor even without settings: just right-click on the file and select “Transfer to device”.
How to connect a laptop to a TV via DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct and WiDi
As you can see, there are a lot of methods to connect TV to a laptop via wifi. Confused wires, inconvenient cables and dozens of adapters are replaced by a wireless connection. The most popular systems are DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct (as we wrote earlier) and WiDi. What is the principle of their work?
- DLNA is a system that allows you to pair compatible devices and transfer content at maximum speed between them. It works on the basis of Wi-Fi connecting all devices to one network. Over, the devices can be completely different: from a tablet and a smartphone, ending with the X-box console and printers. Applicable for both home and work use. The previously known LG SmartShare and Samsung AllShare are based on this system. To share files, each folder is opened on the computer separately. However, by default, the server searches for files in the root folders of the My Documents group.
- Wi-Fi Direct is a system thanks to which two or more devices can directly connect to each other without an additional router link. It has a separate resemblance to Bluetooth, but many times higher in speed and connection quality. Even if there is no Internet, you can connect the laptop to the TV via wifi direct, creating a special home network.
- WiDi is a system created by Intel to transfer data from smartphones, tablets, laptops and other portable devices to the Smart TV screen. With its help, you can transmit “surround” sound and view full-size video (full HD). The most suitable option for a home theater.
Connecting TV to a laptop through third-party programs
In addition to the standard system settings and the applications discussed earlier in the article, you can connect TV to a laptop via wifi using the following wireless transfer standards:
- Home media server (Home media server). The most popular application among users, downloadable for free. The server converts the multimedia files sent to the screen into a supported format. Powered by DLNA system.
- Miracast is the second most popular free program running on the Wi-Fi Direct system. Connecting without the Internet. Using this application, you can broadcast not only images and videos, but also the desktop of the device from which playback is being performed. This function works in the reverse order. The screen image can be transferred to a computer or phone. The advantage is that the connection works quickly and smoothly even when transferring “heavy” files and supporting 3D format.
- Wild Media Server is a paid program that combines the advantages of two previous applications. Powered by DLNA system.
You decide which program to use and how to connect the laptop to the TV via wifi yourself. You can find programs in our section of programs for Windows. Each of the applications has a number of advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we examined how to transfer images from a PC to a TV and answered all questions about how to connect a laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi.
All about local networks and network equipment
The modern man is faced with the need to connect to Wi-Fi everywhere: wireless networks are much more practical and convenient than their cable “brothers”.
That’s just such WiFi-privileges basically “use” all kinds of mobile gadgets: phones, tablets, smartphones and most modern laptops. Accordingly, the question arises: what is the “classic” personal computer worse? After all, working on a desktop computer is much more convenient, and cable Internet connection is often a lot of trouble.
And in this article we will discuss how to connect a stationary computer to wifi, and what needs to be done to make the computer “catch” invisible Wi-Fi.
By the way, the age of the device is not directly related to the creation of a wireless network, and you can even connect WiFi to a relatively old computer.
Can I connect a regular computer to wifi?
Some difficulties with connecting Wi-Fi on a personal computer are by no means connected with the “prejudices” of developers or the unsuccessful complete deprivation of the fate of this device.
The fact is that mobile devices and modern laptops are initially equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi adapter for connecting to a wireless network (which is not available on a desktop computer). However, such devices are mostly designed for short-term access to the network, and have a rather meager set of functional capabilities.
While a stationary computer is designed for continuous operation with both serious offline software and with any resources of the global information network. Accordingly, the connection with all peripheral devices and external networks (Internet, power, etc.) is carried out here in a more reliable cable way.
Therefore, it is not worth deciding to connect a home computer to wifi solely for aesthetic reasons. The “standard” cable connection is more reliable, more efficient (Internet speed is not “cut”), and much less damage to the health of the Internet user.
However, if a hard connection to an Internet source is unavailable for some reason, you can connect Wi-Fi to your home computer in a matter of minutes.
How to connect a home computer to wifi?
To connect wifi to a stationary PC, first of all, you need to purchase a special removable Wi-Fi adapter. A miniature antenna that will “catch” the Internet signal transmitted by the router and return the data processed by the user to the router.
The most popular and inexpensive solution here is to choose a removable USB adapter for your computer.
If you purchased the adapter from an authorized distributor, then a disk with a special program for installing drivers is supplied with the device.
How to install Wi-Fi on a computer with Windows 7?
1. Plug your adapter into any USB port on your computer.
2. Insert the disk into the drive, run the auto-tuning utility, and at the request of the program, click the “Next” button.
3. After installing the driver in the “Network Control Center” folder for Windows 7 (or “Network Connections” for Windows XP) you will see a new shortcut (in addition to the usual “Local Area Connection”). The name of the label will contain the brand of the manufacturer of your adapter.
4. Now you can connect your desktop computer to wifi. To do this, right-click on the shortcut once.> “Connection”.> Select the name of your Wi-Fi network and enter the password.
How to configure Wi-Fi if there is no installation disk?
In addition to the “classic” acquisition of a brand-new licensed adapter, there are times when the user needed the Wi-Fi on the computer “here and now” and he borrowed from friends / acquired an old used WiFi adapter.
The driver disk for such an adapter, of course, has long been lost.
In this situation, you need to download the archive with the driver from the Internet.
“But there is no Internet!”. You say. “What to do?”
Here To connect a desktop computer to wifi:
Go to the official website of the manufacturer of this adapter (or the profile resource ddriver.Ru), find the driver you need by the name of the USB-Wi-Fi adapter and download the software to your computer.
2. Next, right-click once on the “My Computer” shortcut, then “Management” and select “Device Manager” here. In the “Network Adapters” section, find the name of our USB adapter, right-click on it and select the “Update Driver” menu item. Next, specify the folder into which the archive with the necessary drivers was copied, and click “OK”.
3. After installation is complete, you can connect your desktop computer to wifi. To do this, in Network Connections: