Any living creatures, including turtles, have their own instincts. Among all the main instincts, the main one can be distinguished – this is the instinct of procreation. Regardless of where the turtle is in nature or in captivity, this instinct is equally effective. Turtles regularly lay eggs, including unfertilized ones. They are called "diet".
Egg laying process
- If at home conditions heterosexual turtles are kept, then upon reaching puberty the female tortoise will certainly lay eggs, moreover, fertilized. As a result, small turtles can hatch from them.
- This will happen one week after mating.
- Even aquatic turtles creep out to land to lay eggs, not to mention land turtles. Having made a small indentation in the sand or in the ground, turtles lay their eggs there. If the soil is dry, then the turtle will certainly make it wet, as the eggs can dry out if there is a lack of moisture.
In certain conditions, when moisture evaporates faster than necessary, it is possible that even turtles that could develop in the shell dry out. In this regard, soil moisture should be controlled in the place where the eggs are laid. In the photo you can see the laying of eggs and care for it.
- After the tortoise has laid eggs, it returns to the sea and forgets about its offspring. This fact applies to almost all turtles. This suggests that the offspring will have to take care of the owner of the turtle.
- After 2-3 months, with proper care for the masonry, offspring will appear in the form of small turtles.
For this miracle to take place, you need to inspect the eggs daily to identify spoiled ones. One rotten egg can ruin the entire clutch. In order not to do this in the aquaterrarium, many experts advise moving the eggs to a special incubator, which can be seen in the photo.
Where are the eggs laid?
The tortoise tries to lay eggs in places where it will be safe. Moreover, this place is located at a considerable distance from the habitat of the turtle. Basically, she lays eggs in the sand. The fact is that it is easy to make a depression in the sand, especially since sand can hold both heat and moisture.
If the mating process is noticed, then it is better to pour a certain portion of sand into the terrarium (aquaterrarium) so that the turtle can lay eggs without much effort. Eggs are laid at a depth of 50 mm, so an island with a height of 100 mm will definitely attract a female.
If a female lays eggs without a male, then they can be immediately thrown away, since there will be no offspring.
How to create the necessary conditions for the growth of offspring
The task of the turtle is to lay eggs, but what does come of them does not interest her. This suggests that the tortoise does not have the instinct of the mother, therefore all cares for laying eggs, and then for the offspring, completely fall on the shoulders of the owner of the tortoise.
- First of all, you should think about the temperature regime. The ambient temperature together with the masonry should be optimal. If it is cold, turtles are unlikely to be born, as at high temperatures, when eggs can be made from eggs. A lamp should be installed above the masonry, but not too close to the masonry so that the temperature does not turn out to be too high.
- An important factor is the humidity at the place of masonry. Too high humidity can be as dangerous as its lack.
To ensure that offspring are guaranteed to be born, it is better to use an incubator. The process of egg care is much simpler and makes it possible to monitor the development of each egg.
- In this case, you need to regularly inspect the clutch for the presence of frozen eggs.
- It is necessary to constantly monitor the position of the embryos. If you illuminate the eggs with a flashlight, then you can easily determine its position. The normal position of the embryo is with the head up.
The advantages of the incubator are obvious. Not only can all the turtles appear in the world, the process of their appearance speeds up. As for the usual turtle masonry, there are very few guarantees for the birth of small turtles, especially if she laid her eggs in natural conditions.